Community Building & Education
June 2020 Update
The CBE met on May 12 &19 for a general review of our actions to date and to brainstorm new ideas moving forward.
We have recently created a Cape Ann Climate Coalition Facebook page to hi-light local actions dealing with climate change. We would like to encourage everyone to “like” this page and become part of the sharing of local pictures, ideas, and information around climate change. We hope this becomes a community gathering place to share climate-related information. Please “like” and then “share”!
We are designing informational pages on where and how to easily locate and buy local fish and produce as a way to reduce our Foodprint. A Foodprint is the greenhouse gas emissions produced by growing, rearing, farming, processing, transporting, storing, cooking, and disposing of the food you eat. Buying locally avoids transportation miles using fossil fuels that produce large amounts of greenhouse gasses. It also ensures that our food hasn’t been refrigerated for hours or even days, which also produces mass amounts of greenhouse gasses.
Sadly, we recently lost a valued member of this group, Liz Duff. Liz was a true environmentalist who worked for many years at Mass Audubon, and in our local schools inspiring future generations of environmentalists. This is a huge blow for us and the environmental community of Cape Ann.
"If we care about wildlife, we care about salt marshes; if we care about flood protection, storm protection, we care about salt marshes." —Liz Duff
April 2020 Update
The Community Building / Education Group (CBE) is producing a series of informative and motivational videos about local people taking action addressing the climate crisis called “Everything We Do Matters”. The short videos will be posted on the Cape Ann Climate Coalition’s and TownGreen2025’s Facebook pages, YouTube page, and will be compiled to air on a half-hour television program series to begin airing on 1623 Studios Channel 12 on April 27. The program will air on Channel 12 on Mondays, Fridays, and Sundays at 1:30 am and 8:30 pm; Wednesdays at 1:30 am; and Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays at 7:30 AM and 2:30 pm. Here is a preview!
The Cape Ann Climate Coalition Facebook page is new and we will be posting local climate information for you and to share with your friends. Please "Like" and "Share" this to help expand exposure and support for climate actions now. To celebrate Earth Day, Wednesday, April 22, videos of local young women reading Greta Thunberg’s speeches will be posted on Cape Ann Climate Coalition Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Cape-Ann-Climate-Coalition-100636041618619/
27 Feb 2020 Update
- Planning several events for the BYG Fest in June
- Filming “Everything We do Matters”. “Everything We do Matters” is a series of short videos about local people who have done “something that matters” in response to the climate crisis. The goal is to recognized their accomplishments and to motivate others by providing “how to” information. Videos will go out on social media, and 1623 programing.
- “Protect What You Love” will use door to door canvassing and house parties to target local residents and businesses to communicate how climate change will impact them, and to offer resiliency planning support.
We continue to explore possible action goals.
- We have been building community and educating ourselves
- Discussing examples of community building and community education related projects and goals
- Viewing and discussing an XR video
- Understanding carbon footprint activity
- We are currently exploring shared responsibility and leadership in the group such as rotating group roles for: note taking,meeting agendas, facilitating meetings
- We are using both meeting time and internet based polling to schedule our meeting dates and times and to gage our capacity to meet and work
This group has met on November 5th and November 26th.
- Liz Duff
- Patrick Flanagan
- Courtney Hayes
- Lara Lepionka
- Mark Nelson
- Pintso (Peter) Lauenstein
- Karin Peterson
- Rick Roth
- Lisa Smith
- Amanda Verga
- Amanda Madeira
- Amanda Nash
- Rabbi Lewis
- Tom Barrett
- Erin Canniff
- Keith Gray
- Nathaniel Kirby