TownGreen2025 Climate Crisis Series, Denny Dart
Towngreen2025 Climate Crisis Solutions: Denny Dart
Lose That Carbon Weight
Twenty actions you can take right now Denny Dart 6/11/20
Calculate your carbon footprint. Choose a detailed calculator so you can see the opportunities for reduction. Here are some to try:
This EPA calculator includes cost savings: https://www.epa.gov/energy/greenhouse-gas-equivalencies-calculator Here’s a simple and quick estimator for young people: https://www.conservation.org/carbon-footprint-calculator#/
- Make the switch to local renewable electricity. Mass Audubon has partnered with Green Energy Consumers’ Alliance to help you switch to regional renewable power. https://www.massaudubon.org/get-involved/live-sustainably/make-the-switch-to-green- electricity, Gloucester residents, we have Green Electricity Aggregation. More information here.
- Request a MassSave Audit. You can do this every two years. www.masssave.com
- Consider solar panels. Revision Energy and other solar companies can do a remote assessment during this time of social distancing. If your roof is not suitable, look around — does a community center, a business, school or a congregation where you belong have a suitable roof?
- Test drive an electric car. https://www.greenenergyconsumers.org/drivegreen
- Buy a battery-powered lawn mower.
- Want a search engine that plants trees when you search? https://www.ecosia.org/
- Choose a bank that does not finance fossil fuel infrastructure https://www.greenamerica.org/getabetterbank
- Don’t forget your credit card. https://www.greenamerica.org/responsible-credit-cards
- Choose a new insurance company. For more information: Asset Owners Disclosure Project https://aodproject.net/, Unfriendcoal, Stop the money pipeline, Insure our Future
- Shareaction.org suggests these companies: AXA, Aviva, The Hartford (AARP), Chubb, MAPFRE
- Reinvest your savings. For sustainable investment advice, see a listing of firms at Boston Basic (Building A Sustainable Investment Community) http://www.bostonsri.org/
- Choose a farmer’s market or Consumer Supported Agriculture (CSA) for local produce and fish.
- Shop second-hand for clothes, books, furniture.
- Instead of flying to distant places, rediscover beautiful New England!
- If you must fly, buy flight offsets. Jet Set Offset https://jetsetoffset.com/ funds New England Wind Fund
- Get an estimate for electric heat pumps to heat and cool your home.
- Try a new vegetarian or vegan recipe. https://www.greeneatz.com/foods-carbon-footprint.html
- Offset your remaining carbon emissions with donations:
- Educate a girl.
- Family planning.
- Conservation of forests and wetlands.
- See drawdown.org for many more ideas.
- Use your customer power.
- Join an environmental group and get active. Stop the Money Pipeline, 350.org, Citizen’s Climate Lobby, Mothers Out Front, Extinction Rebellion, Sunrise Movement, Sierra Club . . .